Dec 7, 2006

The final four days...

Saturday was a day of R&R. We had had a crazy couple of days, but now needed to regain our strength. Lazy Saturdays are my favorite! Although the day wasn't wasted... We made a trip to Bolton Abbey, a 12 century church that is now in ruins. The abbey is pretty cool itself, but what really makes this site so spectacular is the location. It's surrounded by the most beautiful scenery as you will see in the pictures. In the summer, it is highly populated with families and picnic-ers, but I think it is just as beautiful in the fall with all the changing leaves. Saturday night we took mom to Rajput, a popular Indian restaurant in town. Few people know that next to the not so good, bland British food such as bangers and mash, Indian food is one of the most popular cuisines in England. The Brits just absolutely love curry! So naturally, Mom needed to experience it.

Sunday we went to Knaresborough and checked out the usual attractions (the bridge and the castle) and did a little shopping. Next, we headed to York. We walked along the city walls, went to the Minster, and checked out the center of town. That evening we finally made it to Graveley's where Mom had her first British fish and chips. I believe she greatly enjoyed it... as did Brandon and I. That's the one food the British DO know how to cook. :)

On Mom's very last full day in England we went shopping in Harrogate. Brandon had to work, so it worked out perfectly. We covered all the best stores in town before the closing hour of 5:00. That evening we had a home cooked meal and finished off dinner with some pumpkin pie. Might I add, it was the first pie I've ever made in my entire life, and it turned out pretty good. I was excited for that evening's dinner since it's typically a rarity for me to cook for Mom.

We took Mom to the airport the next morning and she safely returned home 10-12 hours later. The 7 days absolutely FLEW by, and I was sad to see her leave. But I was so grateful for the time I did have with her and we certainly had a ton of fun!!! Well, that wraps up the visit. Thanks again, Mom, for coming all they way to England to see us and our temporary country of residence. It was a trip we'll never forget. :)

Love you all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see you went to Knaresborough. Did your mom get a tattoo like me?

Dad

Christin said...

Are you guys back in the States now?